Next time you get an itch, or a cut or things that are hard to get rid of, instead of spending lots of money on fancy creams why not try some of these natural remedies that you can find in your own kitchen!
Dr Kathleen Schubert, a holistic wellness expert, joined Carly Flynn on Weekend Life.
Her top recommendations included oatmeal, cinnamon, and dark chocolate of all things!
Here’s the full list of natural remedies you can find in your kitchen:
- Oatmeal for eczema and rashes
- Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and sweet red apples for acid reflux (alkalinizers)
- Coconut oil for dry skin/acne
- Lemon juice for liver detoxification and weight management
- Apple cider vinegar and sugar for hiccups (stimulates vagus nerve to stop the reaction)
- Cinnamon for type II diabetes/blood sugar management
- Turmeric powder for minor skin cuts and bruises
- Fenugreek seeds and chamomile tea for runny tummies
- Onion for bee stings
- Natural unsweetened Greek yogurt for thrush (put on a tampon, it works!)
- Manuka honey for canker sores
- Dark chocolate for chronic cough due to a cold (A 2012 study found that the cocoa chemical theobromine blocked the action of sensory nerves in those with a cold, stopping the cough reflex. Researchers of this study found the chocolate chemical to be more effective than codeine when treating a chronic cough)
- Fresh garlic juice for sore throat ( Squeeze the juice from six garlic cloves into a glass of warm (not hot) water. Mix and gargle with the solution twice a day. Garlic contains allicin, which is thought to help the body to heal the infections that cause a sore throat while fighting the germs that cause the pain and the irritation)
- Mint leaves for vomiting
Listen to the full interview with Dr Kathleen above.