Thu, 02 May 2013
PHOTOS: Bear Grylls' producer reveals snake bite images
By Duncan Wilson
WARNING: Graphic images below
A producer on the show Man vs. Wild has revealed on Twitter how a savage snake bite in California nearly cost him his life.
Steve Rankin says he was climbing over a tree when the fer-de-lance snake bit right through his boot and deep in to his foot.
The poison from the viper set to work immediately, as huge parts of Rankin's foot skeleton were exposed. He was helped by his team, hobbling for around two hours until he could be taken to hospital by chopper.
Around a week later, and following a delicate skin-graft operation using layers from his thigh, he has posted pictures of his recovery on the social networking site. He also noted how his team saved his life.
Six days following surgery, Steve Rankin's foot is now on the mend. Photo: @steve_rankin
Immediately following the bite, huge sections of bone were left exposed Photo: @steve_rankin
Upon arrival at the hospital, doctor's raced to repair the foot, grafting skin from the thigh. Photo: @steve_rankin