There’s nothing like a fab tomato dish to complement a hot breakfast. This top tomato treatment captures the tomato’s sweet fruity flavour. A deliciously perfect addition to a breakfast of bacon and eggs.
- 6 large vine-ripened tomatoes (we love NZ Hothouse)
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped basil (we love Superb Herbs)
- 50g butter
- Bacon and eggs to serve (we love Hellers streaky bacon)
- Fresh herbs to garnish
- Halve the tomatoes and top each half with a pinch of sugar, a sprinkling of salt, a grind of pepper, a small knob of butter then snip basil leaves over the top.
- Cook tomatoes on a lined baking tray at 200 degrees for 15 minutes until they are warmed through and juicy.
- Serve immediately with crispy bacon, fried eggs and slices of sourdough with fresh herbs as you feel – basil and parsley work well here.
Add fresh thyme leaves with the basil to the tomatoes if you have it in your garden.