RECIPE: Orange and Cinnamon Cake
It's Wednesday, which means Annabelle White shares her 'recipe of the week' with us before she joins Mitch Harris on-air at 2.30pm until 3pm.
Orange and Cinnamon Cake
USE: Non-stick bakeware, a Springform Round Cake Tin, 26cm with Funnel (as pictured above)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
4 eggs, separated
265g caster sugar
75ml of light olive oil (sunflower or peanut oil is OK)
225g fresh full fat ricotta
280g sifted self-raising flour
95g almond meal
Finely grated zest of 4 oranges
1 heaped teaspoon of Cinnamon
1 teaspoon of Vanilla paste or extract
Heat oven to 170 degrees celsius (150 for a fan-bake)
1. Prepare the tin by lightly greasing it.
2. In one bowl whisk egg whites. Once they start increasing in volume, start adding 2 tablespoons of the caster sugar (one at a time) and continue to beat until you get a loose meringue style mix.
3. In another bowl beat the egg yolks with the remaning sugar until pale and creamy. Do not allow sugar to sit on egg yolks without being whisked. Add the oil and ricotta and mix until combined.
4. Gently fold in the self-raisning flour and the almond meal, the cinnamon, the orange zest and juice and vanilla.
5. Gently fold in the egg whites.
6. Pour cake batter into prepared tin.
7. Bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean).
8. Allow to cool before attempting to un-mould the cake.
9. Dust with icing sugar and pile oranges onto central ring of the cake.