Here is the most useful recipe in the entire world! It's:
- Gluten free and vegan
- One bowl
- No washing up
- Contains chocolate (but is also really healthy).
- Food processor or a mixer or a blender
- A muffin tray
- Little cupcake liners (to fit your muffin tray)
- 425 gr can of black beans rinsed and drained
- Ground flaxseed (30 gr) mixed with six tablespoons of tap water (90 gr) (Ceres make it, costs about $6.00 a packet, lasts forever and is really good for you. Available in any supermarket.)
- Tablespoons of oil, such as canola or coconut
- 3/4 of a cup of cocoa powder (75 gr)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup sugarn (105 gr)
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
Extras, nice but not necessary: toasted nuts (hazelnuts recommended), chocolate chips, a handful of frozen raspberries.
Before you even think about this, heat up your oven to 170 degrees.
Get yourself a 12 hole muffin tray, put those little pleated liners inside each one, spray them with canola spray, that way, they come out really easily and no washing up.
In the bowl of your food processor (or mixer etc), put the flaxseed and water and give them a quick mix.
Then add the cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt, can of rinsed drained beans, vanilla essence and oil.
Mix them in the processor for about three minutes until smooth.
If your mixture is a bit thick, thin it down with a few tablespoons of water.
Plop a tablespoon of mixture into each muffin cup. Don't fill them more than 3/4 s full or they will explode.
Sprinkle your additives of choice on top of each one.
Throw the muffin tray into the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
You'll know they are done when they start to pull away from the muffin liner.
Cool them for 30 minutes. They are fragile and delicate, because they have no flour.
Vegan Brownies by Philippa Stephenson. This recipe was adapted from a marvellous book called the Minimalist Baker. I make them every single day and we sell gabillions of them.
The Long Lunch with Wendyl Nissen, 12pm - 3pm on RadioLIVE and streaming live to the rova app on Android and iPhone.