Creating your own granola or toasted muesli is simple and far more economical than purchasing extravagant pre-made versions. This one uses beetroot for colour and sweetness. You can add extra coconut oil if you prefer a chunkier version. You can easily eliminate the maple syrup as the dates add extra sweetness. Play with your own favourite flavours and enjoy the process along with the delicious crunchy outcome.
- 250 g cooked beetroots buy vacuum sealed or roast/boil/steam your own
- 200 g medjool dates halved or quartered
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 cup raw almonds
- ⅓ cup pepitas pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup coconut shreds
- 140 g coconut oil minimum
- ⅓ cup maple syrup (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 160C.
2. Place the cooked beets into a blender and process until you have a puree. Set aside.
3. Mix together your dates, oats, pistachios, almonds, pepitas and coconuts shreds.
4. In a small saucepan, gently heat the coconut oil and maple syrup until warm and combined. Add the puree to the oil and syrup and stir to combine.
5. Add the liquid into the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon and then your hands to fully combine.
6. Scatter mixture onto your largest baking tray, lined with baking paper or a silicon mat.
7. Cook until dry and toasted. This may take up to 45 minutes depending on the size of your tray. You must open the oven and gently toss and turn the mixture every 5 minutes to ensure you are cooking it evenly.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before transferring to an airtight jar.
Serve with heaped scoops of thick natural yoghurt.
Home and Garden with Tony Murrell, 7am - 10am Saturday and Sunday mornings on RadioLIVE and streaming live to the rova app on Android and iPhone.