- olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 650g (23oz) beef mince (ground beef)
- 350g (12.34oz) pork mince (ground pork)
- 1 Henergy Cage Free egg
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons miso paste (or 1 teaspoon marmite/vegemite)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup style tomato sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250g (8.8oz) streaky bacon
- 1 cup grated tasty cheddar cheese
- 2 1/2 cups tomato pasta sauce
- chopped parsley and/or basil to serve
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
Add a film of oil to a small frying pan and gently cook the onion, celery and garlic for about 15 minutes until tender but not coloured.
At the same time place the bread crumbs in a large mixing bowl and pour over the milk.
Once the onion is tender then add the pan contents to the bread crumbs along with the mince, egg, herbs, mustard, miso, tomato ketchup and season with salt and pepper.
Lightly grease a 25cm loaf dish and line with bacon slices that cover the base of the dish and then alternating sides. Let the excess slices drape over the outside of the dish for now.
Spoon the mince mixture into the dish and press to form an even shape. Fold the bacon over the top of the mince.
Bake for 1 hour.
Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of the meatloaf and bake or grill for a further 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
Allow the meatloaf to rest for a few minutes while you heat the sauce in a small saucepan until bubbling.
Serve the meatloaf with hot sauce, sprinkle with chopped herbs.