Layers of pasta, butternut squash, spinach, basil pesto with a crunchy ricotta cheese topping. A super simple, vegetarian take on your classic lasagna.
Serves 6 Prep 30 minutes Cook 40 minutes
- 1 pack lasagne sheets (we love Diamond)
- 1 jar green pesto (we love Delmaine)
- 1 large yellow squash, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cups veggie stock (We love Greggs)
- 50g sundried tomatoes – roughly chopped (we love Delmaine)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp chilli flakes (We love Greggs)
- ½ tsp nutmeg (We love Greggs)
- A handful of spinach leaves
- A handful of fresh basil (we love Superb Herb)
- 500g container cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1.5 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (we love Olivado)
- Bring 2L of veggie stock to boil and gently place in the butternut squash cubes – cook until tender, roughly 10 minutes. Drain and keep the stock.
- Boil the lasagna sheets in the reserved veggie stock until el dente. Strain and run cold water and oil over them so they don’t stick. Keep the veggie stock again.
- In a deep fry pan over a medium heat, fry off the onion and garlic until tender. Add the chopped sundried tomatoes, chilli flakes and nutmeg. Add the cooked butternut squash and spinach and mash up with a fork with a cup of the reserved veggie stock.
- In a separate bowl to stir together the eggs, ricotta or cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, and ¼ cup Parmesan
- Heat oven to 190C.
- In a deep baking dish layer the cooked lasagne sheets, butternut and spinach mixture, basil pesto, eggy cheesy mixture and basil leaves. Repeat until you have done at least 3 layers. Top with the remaining cheese and basil leaves plus a drizzle of oil.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Devour.