The team at the Vodka Room in Ponsonby specialise in vodka and are masters of infusions, creating exciting new vodka flavours without any of the nasty additives.
They have provided today's cocktail along with some top tips for you to infuse your own delicious creations (it’s surprisingly easy)
Lazy Cotton Candy Cosmopolitan
- 200ml unflavoured Vodka
- 50g of Pink cotton candy
- Add all ingredients into a 400ml jar.
- The cotton candy will dissolve straight away.
- It can be used immediately if in a rush or let it sit for a day for the sugars to mix through.
- Shake before use.
- In a shaker full of ice add 45ml of the cotton candy vodka
- Add 15ml of Cointreau
- Add 15ml of fresh lime juice.
- Shake and strain into a martini or champagne coupe glass
Tips on infusing vodka:
Choose your vodka. You’re looking for a decent neutral, unflavoured vodka to absorb the flavours of the ingredients you use.
Infusion times vary based on the ingredients used. Fruits take longer in comparison to tea which builds a flavour profile very quickly.
Infuse and shake. Give your infusions a little shake daily to help them along.
Taste! Have a nip to see how flavours develop and progress.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer lined with a coffee filter to remove any sediment, re-bottle and store in the fridge or freezer.
MermaidMary is a wine writer & enthusiast who contributes every Friday on The Long Lunch. Never one to be described as an Oenophile her true passion is to spread the word of great wines, while making wine accessible & never using alienating wine speak that confuses people - like Oenophile!
The Long Lunch with Lynda Hellinan, 12pm - 3pm on RadioLIVE and streaming live to the rova app on Android and iPhone.