Ryan Simmons is the co-owner of Volare, who have locations in Hamilton, Cambridge, Te Awamutu, Tauranga and the Mount.
He is Wendyl Nissen's guest for Weekend Treats this week and here is his recipe for flat bread for you to bake this weekend.
Volare Flat Bread
Can be used for Turkish pide, Focaccia or even pizza bases
550g Bread Flour
7g Instant Yeast (10g if using fresh)
380g Warm Water
25g Olive Oil
1. Place flour, salt and yeast into a large bowl and mix to combine
2. Measure water and oil into a jug then add to flour mixture
3. Using a wooden spoon mix to combine the ingredients until there are no lumps
4. Cover with a dry tea towel and put aside for 10 minutes
5. Leaving it in the bowl, place your hand under the dough on a side and gently stretch it to the middle. Repeat this 4-6 more times, rotating the bowl until you have a tight mass in the middle.
6. Cover with a dry tea towel and put aside for 10 minutes
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 another 3 times then leave the dough alone in a warm place for 1 hour
8. Tip the dough out onto a floured bench and shape as desired. Remember to handle the dough as little as possible to keep it light and open
9. Depending on what you choose to make is how the final dough will be proved in. For focaccia place in an oiled tray, brushing the top with olive oil. Prove in a warm place for 35-45 minutes then bake at 220c for 15-25 minutes until golden.
The Long Lunch with Wendyl Nissen, 12pm - 3pm on RadioLIVE and streaming live to the rova app on Android and iPhone.