This recipe is perfect for when you have over-ripe bananas. Try something new and use them in these beautiful banana fritters.
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: 20 Minutes
3 ripe bananas (we love Dole Bananas)
½ cup + ¼ cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract (we love Hansell’s)
½ tsp + ½ tsp ground cinnamon (we love Mrs Rogers)
¼ tsp nutmeg
2 cups plain flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
½ cup milk (we love Meadow Fresh)
Butter, to fry (we love Alpine)
To serve: fresh sliced banana and mascarpone (we love Tatua)
- Place the peeled bananas in a bowl and mash roughly. In a separate bowl, beat the egg, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Combine the egg mixture with the mashed bananas and mix well.
- Next, sieve the dry ingredients into the egg mixture and gently fold through.
- Add ¼ cup of milk to the mixture and stir through, adding a little more if the mixture seems to thick (it should reach a dropping consistency).
- Add a knob of butter to a non stick frying pan and place on medium high heat.
- Once hot, drop spoonfuls of the batter into the frying pan. Once the edges have become golden and little bubbles appear on the surface, flip and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Lastly, combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon in a bowl, then sprinkle over the warm fritters.
- Serve with sliced banana and mascarpone if desired.