Crab and fish cakes have been a staple in Kiwi households for many years, and these crab cakes are served with creamy delicious parsnip remoulade and roasted tomatoes for a tasty and well rounded meal.
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 15 Minutes
4 crab cakes (we love United Fisheries)
4 large parsnips, peeled into ribbons
8 small truss tomatoes (we love NZ Hothouse)
Olivado olive oil
2tbsp white vinegar
1/3 cup creme fraiche (we love Meadowfresh)
2 tsp capers, chopped
1 tbsp chopped parsley (we love Superb Herb NZ)
- Place the crab cakes on a baking tray and cook as per pack instructions. After 5 minutes, place the tomatoes around the crab cakes, drizzle with oil and roast alongside the cakes.
- Place the parsnip ribbons in a bowl and pour over the vinegar. Sprinkle with salt, toss and leave to sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, squeeze as much vinegar from the parsnip as possible and place into a new bowl.
- Add the creme fraiche, capers and parsley to the parsnips and toss well to evenly combine.
- Serve the parsnip remoulade alongside the cooked crab cakes and roasted tomatoes.
These school holidays get the kids in the kitchen. Start them off with this fabulous dessert which uses marshmallow Easter eggs.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: n/a
- 1 x 250g packet of malt biscuits (we love Arnotts)
- 50g melted butter (we use Lewis Rd)
- 250g cream cheese, softened (we use Philadelphia)
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 6 marshmallow Easter eggs (we love Cadbury)
- To decorate: mini eggs, melted chocolate and mini marshmallows
- Crush all of the malt biscuits in a blender. Add the melted butter and stir until evenly combined.
- Press this biscuit base mixture into a greased and lined tin, then freeze for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, whip together the cream cheese and icing sugar until soft and light.
- Place the marshmallow Easter eggs in a microwave safe bowl and cook for 30 seconds, stopping to stir every 10 seconds. Mix the melted eggs into the cream cheese and icing sugar mix until completely incorporated.
- Remove biscuit base from the freezer. Dollop Easter egg filling on top and smooth out with a spoon. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- To decorate, sprinkle with mini eggs and marshmallows, then drizzle with melted chocolate. Refrigerate to set and serve.