Everyone loves kumara sweet potato. We quite like Kaipara Kumara because it’s a beautiful part of Northland NZ but any kumara will do. This chowder recipe has the healthy kumara plus another kiwi fave – mussels.
Get to a kiwi coastline to collect some.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- 2 kumara
- Avocado cooking oil (we love Olivado)
- 2 cups mussels (store bought in water or fresh)
- 3 rashers bacon, finely chopped (we love Hellers)
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely sliced
- 1 small leek (white part only), finely sliced
- 1 small bulb fennel, finely sliced
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup cooking cream
- 2tbsp chopped parsley
- Peel the kumara and chop into small cubes. Cook in boiling water until tender. Drain and reserve 2 cups of the liquid.
- In a pan over medium heat, saute the bacon, onion, celery, leek and fennel in a drizzle of avocado oil until tender.
- Chop cooked mussels into quarters and add to the onion mixture. Add the kumara and reserved liquid, then season with salt and pepper. Stir through the cream and chopped parsley and serve.