Serves: 3-4 Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp EV olive oil (we love Olivado)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely diced
- Bay leaf
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 pack Hellers beef meatballs
- Fresh basil leaves
- Sliced mozzarella
- 3-4 long rolls/baguettes (we love Paneton)
1. To make the sauce, add the onion and garlic to a saucepan with a drizzle of olive oil on a low heat. Cook for 3 – 5 mins or until onions have softened. Add in oregano and cook for a further minute. Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 – 3 minutes to remove the raw taste. Season, then add tinned tomatoes and a bay leaf. Add 1 cup of water and simmer on low with lid half off for 40 mins. Puree sauce in a blender until smooth.
2. Bake the meatballs at 190 degrees celsius or pan fry until browned and completely cooked.
3. To prepare the sub, slice the rolls vertically. Drizzle with olive oil on both sides and grill cut side up until golden (this will stop the bread going soggy). Spoon the sauce onto both sides, then lay the meatballs on one half and the other with cheese. Grill until the cheese has melted.
4. Remove from the grill and garnish with fresh basil leaves. Serve immediately.
Tip: If you have any sauce leftover, use as a dipping sauce for the rolls or use as a pasta sauce the next night for dinner!