Eight Green Goddess beauty routine tips by Wendyl Nissen.
We all know that baking soda is great for cleaning up around the house, but what about using it for our face and body?
Here are eight top recipes for using baking soda in your beauty routine:
1. Give your feet a good soak.
Mix 3 tbsp of baking soda in a wide bucket of warm water for a soothing foot soak. Add 10 drops of an essential oil such as lavender and soak for 20 minutes. If you have any rough skin, make a paste of baking soda and water and scrub them at the end.
2. Remove chlorine discoloration from your hair by mixing a cup of baking soda with water to make a paste. Rub into damp hair and leave for 10 minutes (you may need more if you have long hair). Rinse.
3. Remove any chemical build-up in your hair by using the above recipe for chlorine discoloration. I do this once a month.
4. If you use a lot of nail polish, your nails may look yellow. Bleach them by mixing 1 tbsp baking soda with 1 tsp oxygen bleach powder then adding a little water to make a paste. Rub this on your nails and leave for 10 minutes then wash off.
Follow up with a soothing rub of olive oil.
5. Add a tbsp of baking soda to your usual facial cleanser and form a paste. Massage into your skin to help exfoliate.
6. Make a tooth powder by mixing 2 tbsp baking soda mixed with a pinch of Stevia (a natural herb sweetener you can find at supermarkets or health stores) and 5 drops lemon essential oil. Shake well and dip your wet toothbrush into it.
7. For acne and pimples try mixing 1 tbsp baking soda with 1 tbsp Manuka honey. Use this as an ointment for pimples, leave on overnight and then wash in the morning.
8. For a dry shampoo simply rub through baking soda and brush out.
The Long Lunch with Wendyl Nissen, 12pm - 3pm on RadioLIVE and streaming live to the rova app on Android and iPhone.