Between six and ten people have been killed when a newly-erected pedestrian bridge spanning several lanes of traffic collapsed at Florida International University on Thursday (local time), a US Senator has said.
Eight vehicles were trapped in the wreckage of the 950-tonne bridge and eight people have been transported to hospitals, officials said a news conference.
- Road safety expert says 'police like police pursuits'
- Should police be contacted when a victim is a child?
Dough Phillips from the Sun Sentinel in Florida joined Wendyl Nissen on the Long Lunch to provide details on the tragic event.
“Ironically, the bridge was partially planned because a student pedestrian got killed last year crossing this very bust street,” he said.
The Sun Sentinel journalist said the US$14.2m bridge was quickly built using a construction technique which could be set to be investigated.
Florida International University had previously tweeted the bridge was first of its kind, and included a video of the bridge “swinging” into place.
According to ABC News, the bridge also used Accelerated Bridge Construction methods, where the construction is primarily completed off-site before moving the bridge to its final placement.
Mr Phillips predicts there will be a “massive investigation” to uncover whether the techniques used to build the bridge were sound.
“The bridge wasn't going to open to pedestrians for a year from now,” he said.
Listen to the full interview with Doug Phillips above.
The Long Lunch with Wendyl Nissen, 12pm - 3pm on RadioLIVE and streaming live to the rova app on Android and iPhone.