FreshFast: Sesame Beef and Mushroom Dumplings
Dumplings are our new favourite ‘go-to’ food and with this simple recipe you can make your own version of the classic Chinese dish. Yummy sesame beef, white button mushrooms and crunchiness from the shallots.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 3 Tbsp oil (we use Olivado)
- 2 cups Meadows White Button Mushrooms, sliced
- 250g NZ beef mince
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 2 cloves grated garlic
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce, plus extra to serve
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup beef stock
- 2 large shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- Neutral oil, for brushing & cooking
- ¼ cup black sesame seeds
- 20 dumpling wrappers
- Sweet chilli sauce, to serve (we love Barkers)
- For the filling, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a medium saucepan and sauté mushrooms with a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes or until cooked. Set aside to cool.
- Put mince in a medium bowl with grated ginger, garlic, soy sauce, salt, pepper and beef stock. Lightly stir with a fork, then cover and let marinate in the fridge while you prepare other ingredients.
- Blend shallots and sautéd mushrooms in a food processor until finely chopped.
- When you’re ready to make the dumplings, add mushrooms and sesame oil to the beef mince and stir well. Place about 1½ teaspoons of filling in the centre of each wrapper. Hold the dumpling with one hand, dab the edges with water and start sealing the edges with the other hand. After folding, press the edges again to seal well.
- Brush each dumpling with oil and sprinkle with black sesame seeds before cooking.
- Cook the dumplings in batches. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick frypan over a medium heat until it’s nice and hot. Add dumplings. Cook until the bottom side turns golden. Add 2 tablespoons water, and cover. Cook until the other side also turns golden and the dumplings are cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve warm with soy sauce and sweet chilli.
Don't miss your last chance to enter to win Sainso's 1967 MGB Convertible!
Listen to Sainso for your last chance to enter to win the 1967 MGB Convertible. Entries close 11am Friday!