New year travel resolutions with Lonely Planet's Chris Zeiher
Chris Zeiher from Lonely Planet has some great ideas for places to travel as we head into the new year and make our new year travel resolutions.
He joined Wendyl Nissen with some of his great travel plans for you to steal.
See below for his list of recommendations.
- This sliver of a country will celebrate 200 years of independence in 2018 with a year’s worth of celebrations planned.
- It's also the perfect introduction to South America – a country of extremes with soaring Andes in the east, the vast Pacific Ocean to the west, the bone-dry Atacama Desert in the north and the wilds of Patagonia in the south.
- The capital, Santiago, is developing into a trendy rival to Buenos Aires and the coastal city of Valparaiso continues to win the hearts of the free-spirited traveller.
- It’s the new “it” kid of Asia and increased direct flights into Japan will deliver increased numbers to this country of contrast.
- International visitor arrivals to Japan are predicted to exceed a record 24 million in 2018 as the country ramps up to the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.
- For such a small country the variety of experiences to be had in Japan is unrivalled.
- From the traditional cultural hub of Kyoto to the bustling ultra-modern metropolis of Tokyo there’s good reason that Japan has become the world’s biggest travel hotspot right now.
- With a 30% increase in Kiwis travelling to Vietnam since the introduction of Air New Zealand’s direct service from Auckland there’s no stopping this travel juggernaut.
- Access is everything and any route devoid of frustrating connections that allows travellers to get to their destination faster will be rewarded by adoption.
- Whether it’s a tour of the Mekong, a steaming hot bowl of pho or a cultural back-street tour of Hanoi this is one destination that has something for every kind of traveller.
Portugal (best for your budget)
- It’s long been overshadowed by neighbouring Spain but Portugal has developed into a dynamic coastal country offering excellent value for money for travellers of all configurations.
- Not only is it incredibly affordable but it remains authentic - offering superb city experiences in the likes of Porto and Lisbon, as well as great off-the-beaten path treats such as discovering incredible Roman ruins or following one of the multiple wine routes that criss-cross the picturesque countryside.
Best City - Seville, Spain
Best Region - Belfast & the Causeway Coast, Ireland
Listen to the full interview with Chris Zeiher above.
Afternoon Talk with Wendyl Nissen, 12pm - 3pm on RadioLIVE and streaming live to the rova app on Android and iPhone.
Guess the weight, win the tyres!
There's a set of GT 4x4 tyres to be won, just tell us how much you think this big tyre weighs!