Bao is a fairly new addition to the NZ food scene, and we are obsessed!
In this recipe, these delicious buns hold deliciously hot chilli prawns, crunchy bean sprouts, aromatic coriander with Japanese mayo drizzle.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 8 bao buns (we love Asian Kitchen)
- Splash of olive oil (we love Olivado)
- 20-24 medium raw prawns, shelled (tail left on or off) and deveined
- 2tbsp sweet chilli sauce (we love Barkers)
- 1/2 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup coriander
- Japanese mayonnaise taste
- Cook the bao buns according to the packet instructions, steam, or microwave.
- To prepare the prawns, bring a frying pan to a medium high heat. Add the oil, and once hot, cook the prawns for 3-5 minutes or until the flesh is opaque. Add the sweet chilli sauce to the pan, toss to coat and set aside.
- To assemble, open the fold of the bao bun and place 3-4 prawns, bean sprouts and coriander attractively. Drizzle with mayonnaise and serve.
Tip: Remove the prawn tail off before cooking if you prefer.