A good recipe always starts with a good oil, and this wonderful Singaporean dish, from Brett McGregor’s Taste of a Traveller collection, is made with Olivado Extra Virgin avocado oil, a delicious high-heat gold medal award winning oil.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 packets instant ramen (we love Indo Mie)
- 2 Tbsp chilli sauce (Sriracha), or more to taste
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce (we love Kikkoman)
- 1 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp oyster sauce (we love Lee Kum Kee)
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp Olivado Extra Virgin Avocado oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts, rinsed
- 1/2 bag Leaderbrand Ranchslaw
- 300g diced chicken breast (we love Waitoa)
- 2 Tbsp shao hsing wine, optional
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp fried shallots (available packaged at Asian markets)
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instruction.Drain, set aside.
- Mix chilli sauce, soy, sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, oyster sauce and ketchup. Stir to combine, and set aside.
- In a large preheated wok, add the oil and bring to a high heat. Crack the eggs into the wok, stir vigorously until the eggs are lightly scrambled and just set, then add the garlic, noodles, bean sprouts, slaw mix, and 3/4 cup water. Stir fry until the vegetables are cooked through. Transfer to a large plate.
- Add a little oil to the wok and cook chicken. Stir-fry continuously until the chicken is cooked through, then add the noodle mixture back in the wok to combine.
- Add chilli sauce mixture, and keep stir-frying until well mixed. The noodles should begin to get a bit drier (no liquid left in the bottom of the wok). Add shao hsing wine if using and white pepper, stir to combine, and remove from heat. Garnish with spring onion and fried shallots.