Our version of a Reuben sandwich takes a Fresh spin, using coleslaw mix to add more crunch for those who aren’t fans of classic sauerkraut.
The best Reuben strikes the perfect balance of creamy, tangy and pepper, and we think this recipe is delicious!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5-10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (we love Best Foods)
- 1tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 slices rye bread (traditional) or wholegrain
- 40g Havarti or Gruyere cheese, sliced (we love Food Snob)
- 1/2 cup Leaderbrand coleslaw, dressed with dressing and 1tsp white vinegar
- 100g corned beef or pastrami (we love Hellers)
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Spread 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and half the mustard onto one slice of bread, then top with half of the cheese, half of the coleslaw, and all of the meat.
- Spread the remaining mayonnaise and mustard over the second bread slice, then top the meat with the remaining coleslaw, cheese, and slice of bread. Press down firmly.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan over medium heat, and melt half of the butter. Once hot, place the sandwich in the pan and press down on the sandwich with a spatula.
- Cook for around 3 minutes or until the bread is crisp and golden brown, about 3 minutes then flip and repeat. Cook until the sandwich is golden brown and the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.