Investigation launched following train derailment in Auckland

Morning Talk 09/05/2018
Britomart Station.

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission (TAIC) has launched an inquiry after a passenger train derailed at Auckland's Britomart Station on Wednesday.

Over 100 people were reportedly on the train, which was coming into the station from Manukau at about 9:45am. Three carriages of the six-carriage train came off the tracks.

"The Commission is sending a team of two investigators to the site, due to arrive early this afternoon," a TAIC spokesperson said.

"The Commission opens an inquiry when it believes the circumstances of an accident or incident have - or are likely to have - significant implications for transport safety, or when the inquiry may allow the Commission to make findings or recommendations to improve transport safety."

Newshub reporter Lucy Warhurst told Mark Sainsbury that no injuries have been reported.

“It’s an unusual thing to happen,” she said.

Auckland Transport spokesperson, Mark Hannan, says the train is upright and no one is injured.

Passengers told Ms Warhurst that they didn’t feel any bump during the incident, but they had been held on board for about an hour.

"In the meantime, all trains have been suspended," she said.

Mr Hannan advises customers to use alternative bus travel where possible.

He says the station is closed while crews work to isolate the train.

Listen to the full interview with Lucy Warhurst above.

Morning Talk with Mark Sainsbury, 9am - 12pm Weekdays and streaming live on 'rova' channel 9 - available on Android and iPhone.

RadioLIVE.